4/11/13

Page 11

So, as usual, the last week has gotten away from me without a single blog post.  Sorry to all my dedicated readers out there!  I promise to get better :)

This morning, at 8 am we had Blake's IEP meeting....the third one in the last 14 months.  This meeting was tremendously important, as it would outline the entire school year for next year.  For those of you who are unaware, IEP stands for Individualized Education Program.  All states have some form of IEP for children in the school system who require a learning plan tailored to their specific needs.  This allows the parents to be advocates for their children and during the annual review, they are able to voice their concerns and discuss the goals they have for their child in the coming year.

Blake just turned 4 in February, so due to Illinois laws, he will attend Pre-K for another year.  The 2013-2014 school year will actually be his 3rd school year.  The most fantastic news out of all of this, is that Blake will be able to return to our "home-school" (our district school) for next year.  He has been attending a school in another district because they offer the specialized Early Childhood class that he has been in.  It is considered to be a Special Education Pre-K for children with special needs.  His teacher, was singing his praises this morning about how far he has come in the 14 months she has had him in her class.  And as his mom, I couldn't agree more.  He has made so much progress.

Blake's IEP report is 16 pages long.  At the meeting were his current teacher at High Mount, his new teacher at William Holliday, the Principal of WH, the social worker for WH and High Mount, the OT of WH and High Mount, and the Special Education teacher at WH, and Kevin, Blake and myself.  Its a little daunting, and the meeting lasts merely an hour.  That's not a lot of time to try and get a whole entire school year in place.  However, one of the best things about Pre-K is seeing the teacher everyday and being able to work with her on an as needed basis.  After sitting with his future teacher today, I feel extremely confident that she "gets" Blake and his needs and will be a wonderful teacher for him.

But the truly, most amazing thing about this whole morning, is one little blurb in the middle of page 11 of the report.  It states that for the 2013-2014 school year, Blake will be 100% REGULAR EDUCATION and 0% SPECIAL EDUCATION.  His current placement is the exact opposite.  He is 100% Special Education now.  I am welled up with tears and emotion right now as I type.  And I understand and realize that this is only for this year, and when he transitions to Kindergarten, it will be a whole different ballgame.  But for now, and for the next year, my boy will be like all the other 4 year old Pre-K students.

I can't help but feel like rejoicing as I turn around and see the enormous mountain behind me, and look around the beautiful valley that I am standing in.  I ignore the giant mountain range that lies beyond the horizon.  Right now, in the moment, I feel as though I can breathe.  And I know that its just a piece of paper with some writing on it.  But it stands for how far we have come in the last 2 years.  It stands for all the tantrums and meltdowns that we have made it through.  And it stands for the countless hours of therapies and the nights I have cried myself to sleep, thinking I can't help my boy.  100% Regular Education!!  And even if its only for the next 12 months, I'll take :)

Jenn :)

No comments: